Sunday, December 2, 2007

THE LINE - What is it' Where is it" How can we get one?


Okay, you've probably all heard the statistic about single women over a certain age, how we have a greater chance of being killed by terrorists - or was it being struck by lightning twice? - than we do of finding a boyfriend/getting married. Well, I can't speak for all the single boomer ladies out there, but in my later and unattached years, I have taken some comfort from that statistic. So when they announced that new research has shown that statistic isn't true after all, I kind of felt like it was the good news/bad news. I mean, now there may be a glimmer of hope, but it's not like guys suddenly have been lining up at the door. Hmmm. Lining up - that seemed to be the operative phrase, so I went in search of some answers, some advice, a solution. And of course the first place I went was to vintage Rock and Roll. If you can't find it there, then honey, it ain't been invented.

A quick check of my memory bank and I recalled that there may in fact be places where guys do line up. This is just the beginning of the list; I'm quite sure I will add to it after I've had my coffee.

The Drifters - "There Goes My Baby"
There goes my baby, movin' on down the line...
His girl has left him, and is off in search of someone new. Not far to go.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noFS4_oEakI

Bobby Vee - "Come Back When You Grow Up Girl"
I'd rather you get your very first heartache somewhere else along the line
Girl is too immature, and he's being very noble about it, keep moving...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oFLp3lHaGU

The Orlons - "Crossfire"
...and I lost him in that big boss line.
Obviously, there's so many guys lined up here that the girl in the song has lost the one she came with!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip3mugcyDcA

Candy and The Kisses - "The 81"
...in a big boss line...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOtXi1H3agE
It's starting to look like boss lines are our best bet...

So, single boomer gals everywhere, even from these few examples, I think it's clear that we need to find ourselves a Line. Maybe even a Boss one. The ball is totally in our court; the line has been drawn. We are in charge of our own destinies! Rock On!

Update: "Boss line" is also mentioned in Dee Dee Sharp's "Mashed Potato Time."
Update: Another line, this time in Fleetwood Mac's "Monday Morning"









No comments: