Wednesday, April 2, 2008

ARE YOU UP FOR ONE MORE POST ABOUT THE BEACH BOYS?

Silly question; of course you are! Because it’s spring – the sun is shining, the piles of snow are rapidly shrinking, buds are beginning to show on the trees, and the air smells fresh and wond— Well hopefully where you are it smells fresh and wonderful. Around here right now it smells like thawing cat urine. Sorry, it's just that it's been a long winter. But now that I think about it, it wasn’t any better when I lived out in High Country, either. We had a lot of cattle there. This time of year is kind of a transition pretty much wherever you live. Around here we can look ahead to a time when the roads are dry and the air is clear, and we can all get out our bikes and peddle around with the wind in our hair. I didn’t ride my bike much last year. The tire went flat and then it spent the winter as a hose rack. But this year I am definitely going to fix it up, buy a bike bell and get out there.

In the meantime, how about a little bike bell music? As I’ve said many times before, I’m a big Beach Boys fan, and Pet Sounds is one of my fave albums. However, it wasn’t until recently, when I was researching my book (see left margin) that I began reading up on the background of Pet Sounds. And I discovered that one of the sweetest songs from that album - “You Still Believe In Me” - gets part of its charm from the use of various bicycle bells, and a bike horn. Now, I’d heard those particular sounds many many times, but I never gave much thought to the notion that they might exactly be what they sounded like – bike accessories. Or that someone would actually consider using them as instruments. I guess that’s why Brian Wilson is the music genius and I’m not! So, here’s a link to this tender love song with its chingy bike bells and tootie bike horn. It'll put both a tear and a twinkle in your eye.

You Still Believe in Me http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8kLrrZKnNU

No comments: