Saturday, May 24, 2008

FEATURE ARTISTS - TOMMY BOYCE AND BOBBY HART

Oldies fans will surely remember Boyce (picture L.) and Hart (on the R.) for a smattering of ‘60s hits, most notable being the snappy “I Wonder What She’s Doing Tonight.” (same title as one by Barry and The Tamerlanes, but that’s a totally different song). I always liked the Boyce and Hart one, especially when they “talk” to each other during the song. Aren't they cute! If you were thinking that particular song has an infectious, toe tapping, Monkee-ness about it, you’re very observant. Boyce and Hart wrote a whole swack of hits for the Monkee boys, including “Last Train to Clarksville,” “(I’m Not Your) Stepping Stone,” “Valleri,” and “Words.” Boyce also co-wrote “Pretty Little Angel Eyes” with Curtis Lee, Hart co-wrote “Hurt So Bad” and “Goin’ Out of My Head” with Teddy Randazzo, which became big hits for Little Anthony and the Imperials. The duo wrote “Come a Little Bit Closer” for Jay and The Americans, too. And that’s the short list of what they wrote.

In addition to all this, plus their own recording career, the boys also had gigs on several popular TV shows, including Bewitched. And there was a 1971 spin-off of The Partridge Family that was loosely based on the two songwriters (their roles played by Bobby Sherman and Wes Stern). What an amazing roster; we’re talking pop culture royalty here, folks! And, if all that wasn’t enough, Boyce and Hart also penned the unforgettable theme for the long-running soap opera, Days Of Our Lives. You remember (at least those who will admit they watched it) the one with the swelling music behind the giant hourglass. I was a big DOOL fan for a number of years. Yes, it’s true. I always felt a real affinity to the characters on that show, because, you see, I too have been kidnapped and buried alive by the incredibly evil town villain. I’ve also had amnesia multiple times. And don’t forget that time I was possessed by the devil. That was harsh! Oh, and then there was the time I re-married that one guy thinking he was my long lost – sigh, never mind, I won’t bore you with the details; let’s just say I’ve had quite the life. Okay, enough about me; let’s have a listen to some Boyce and Hart…

I Wonder What She's Doing Tonight (plus a very short medley intro) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW7NDdq5Es4
Check out those suits! This is obviously post-British Invasion. There's another b/w video of this on YouTube with the boys in Nehru jackets and love beads. That'll take ya back all right.

Ta da! The Days Of Our Lives theme. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4G1lr30bzc
And then there was my really embarrassing paternity mix-up - sorry, I know I said I was done...





No comments: