Tuesday, May 6, 2008

THE POZO-SECO SINGERS (The Who-What?)


Before country legend and occasional pop crossover artist Don Gibson (Sea of Heartbreak, Oh Lonesome Me) launched his successful solo career, he was a member of a tuneful folkie trio (along with Lofton Kline and Susan Taylor) called the Pozo-Seco Singers. Now, that was a name that didn’t immediately startle most people, at least not back in the latter 60s. After all, we were used to inscrutable names, such as ? and The Mysterians. Then there was The Strawberry Alarm Clock, The Lemon Pipers, The Electric Prunes, Chocolate Watchband (I’m detecting a definite food theme here) and finally, who can forget Mouse and the Traps (well, me for one, but hey, if they rate above The Beatles with you it's okay by me).

My favorite hit by the Pozo-Seco Singers is a sweet one called “Time” (time, oh ti-i-ime, where did you go…) I bookmarked a vid for it on YouTube, but before I could write this post, it was removed. So here’s another hit of theirs, equally good.

I Can Make It With You http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqohtqsqtck

So, the obvious question is, what does Pozo-Seco (sometimes seen without the hyphen) mean? Since it’s a Spanish term, it might be a lot less inscrutable these days than in the 60s, but I had to look it up. Pozo seco simly means “dry well.” Beyond that, what significance it had to the group members I wasn’t able to discover. Maybe someone out there can clue me in?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm confused. Don Williams was with Pozo-Seco. Not Don Gibson. Am I right? My brother appeared on the same telethon as the group and something happened to William's guitar. He borrowed my brother's Gibson so the act could go on stage.