Friday, October 17, 2008

A SAD DAY IN THE MUSIC WORLD and here at PAPA DO RUN




LEVI STUBBS

June 6, 1936 - October 17, 2998









The Motown legend and lead singer of The Four Tops (photo front) died peacefully in his sleep today, at his home in Detroit. His soulful voice warmed Tops hits like "Sugar Pie Honey Bunch" "Reach Out, I'll Be There" and my personal favorite, the 1964 hit "Baby I Need Your Loving." Back then I was a junior in high school, looking forward to my senior year and then to graduating. Now, so many years later, it's hard any time we lose one of the classic greats, but this one really knocked be back when I read about it. It's not only the loss of a talented musician, but I think it puts all us baby boomers in touch with our own mortality. Our class is beginning to graduate in a different sense of the term. Well, that's the way it always goes. And now it's time to say good-bye to Levi, with thanks for all the music.








Video by YT member HauntedStudios
Photo from blackamericans.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is sad news.I loved them. Great You Tube.

Kat Mortensen said...

What a nice tribute! That is very sad, but I imagine he'll be entertaining a heavenly audience very soon.
I like "Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch" - would be great names for two cats, dontcha think?

Kat