Saturday, February 2, 2008

IT'S FEB 2 - DON'T DRIVE ANGRY!

Well, here we are, it's February the Twoth - a special day for various reasons. To the Roman Catholics it's Candlemas, to the Pagans it's Imbolc, and to just about everybody in North America it's Groundhog Day, the day when the chubby, adorably sleepy little creatures are pressed into the service of weather forecasters everywhere, sometimes even in areas where groundhogs aren't native. Obviously it's very important. You already know about the 6 weeks of winter thing, so I won't go into it here. I always found it confusing anyway. The bottom line for northern regions is simple...still cold, folks. In keeping with the spirit of this blog, I wanted to find a cool song to go along with this post, but as I peered into the vintage vault in my memory bank, I couldn't really come up with any rock and roll oldies about groundhogs. There's plenty of songs about other kinds of animals (hound dog, bird dog, yellow bird, ponies etc), but groundhogs...well, if you think of any let me know. The only thing that even comes close is an early folksy number by Buffy Sainte Marie, accompanying herself on the mouthbow. And I also discovered there's a blues number by John Lee Hooker, but that would seem to be it. So, I decided to turn to the soundtrack of the funny movie, "Groundhog Day" (1993) starring Bill Murray. I was sure I'd be able to find a whole selection of oldies to chose from, but unfortunately, the soundtrack for "Groundhog Day" is no "Big Chill." While there are entries from Weird Al and Nat "King" Cole, the only true vintage Oldie But Goodie on the soundtrack was "I Got You Babe" by Sonny and Cher. Well, that'll certainly do for our purposes here. So here they are, everybody's favorite 60s duo, a very young Cher (original nose and teeth) and and an equally young (and cute-as-a-groundhog) Sonny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4FvXtGGj5Y

No comments: