Wednesday, November 26, 2008

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL MY AMERICAN FRIENDS, AND TO ALL MY CANADIAN FRIENDS, HAPPY THURSDAY!

Here we have something that is all the rage this Thanksgiving. Why have plain old turkey when you can have…turducken! (although if you’re just hearing about it now, it’s probably too late for this year). Anyhoo, I first heard about this a while ago, but thought it was a joke. Then I saw it on CNN and thus realized that it had to be a complete absolute and utter reality. And so it is. What is turducken? Vegetarians, read no further. Turducken is a TURkey that has been stuffed with a DUCK, which in turn has been stuffed with a chickEN. Get it? (of course there are three kinds of regular stuffing as well as the meat). That’s a turducken. Oh, and then you deep-fry the whole thing. Well, whatever you call it, it sounds like a mountain of work, because obviously (at least I hope it’s obvious) you have to remove a lot of bones before you stuff anything anywhere. Then, as I channel surfed away from CNN, I saw a commercial for a restaurant that offered a “Surf and Turf” special. Of course, Surf and Turf means Lobster (surf) and steak (turf). Hmmm. I think I see an opportunity to put together an even more obscene amount of fat and protein! Wrap the whole thing in a side of beef and clip it together with lobster claws, with a bucket of drawn butter on the side. Let’s call it SU for surf, TU for turkey, RF for turf, and of course UCKEN for the duck and chicken. What? Why are you snickering like that? You don’t think it sounds good?

There are quite a few videos on YouTube offering instructions on making a Turducken, including the one from CNN featuring Chef Paul. But I like this one, for reasons which you will probably be able to guess.



HAVE A HAPPY, WHICHEVER SIDE OF THE BORDER YOU'RE ON!






Video from YT member MrJeremiahWeed
Photo of Turducken (aka “a heart attack on a plate”) from Wikimedia Commons

1 comment:

Ruth said...

I don't think I could eat it, but the video sure was good for a laugh. All those birds layered together.... ughhh!
Happy Thanksgiving/Thursday. I don't know which side of the border you identify with :-)