Wednesday, November 12, 2008

A LITTLE BIT O' (NORTHERN) SOUL

I came across this video on YouTube a while back, and thought it was some of the coolest dancing I'd ever seen: I had discovered Northern Soul dancing. Apparently, Northern Soul dance moves can sometimes be quite similar to break dancing, but these look more like 60s moves, which is where Northern Soul got its start. It's too bad the video is so fuzzy. I wouldn't normally choose a video this poor to use in a post, but like I said, it's just so cool. And it looks pretty aerobic, too. Makes me wonder if any of those young people could be smokers and still dance like that! Northern Soul looks like a good workout. I'd give it a try myself, but I don't think I have the brain-foot coordination for it; it looks too much like that old 60s dance craze, the Mashed Potatoes, and I never could master that one. I've seen the instructional videos, watched plenty of people do it, and...nothing. To save myself some face, I can assure you that I am pretty good at just about every other 60s dance craze dance, but somehow the Mashed Potatoes still eludes me.


NORTHERN SOUL DANCING



MASHED POTATO TIME, by Dee Dee sharp




Mashed Potato video by YT member soulrocket
N. Soul video by YT member keepingthefaith72

4 comments:

Kat Mortensen said...

The Madison, "The Swim", "The Twist", "The Frug" (pronounced 'froog') and "The Watusi", "The Shake" and "The Hitchhike"; several '60s dance crazes had animal names, including "The Pony", "The Dog" and "The Chicken" (not to be confused with the later Chicken Dance). (from Wikipedia)

Can you really do all these???

Kat

Btw, I got some funky polish and some decals and I'm ready to rock!

Deborah Godin said...

@Kat

Yes: Swim, Twist, Pony, Hitchhike, Jerk, Chicken, Bop, Stroll, Skate, Hand Jive, Locomotion, Cha Cha Cha, Monkey...

Not so much: Frug, Shake, Dog, Fly

Not at all: Madison, Mashed Potatoes

Not bad, eh?

Kat Mortensen said...

You rock!

Kat

TomC said...

Learned the Mashed Potatoes at weekly dances in Norwalk and Mansfield. It was cool to have a hanky in one hand as well. Thanks for the link to this mighty fine blog. I have added it to my favorites on my two blogs (hope you don't mind) Also, I found you through Jack S's blog "A Warming Trend". Do you know him?