Thursday, January 3, 2008

FEATURE ARTIST: GUESS WHO?














No, I'm not talking about Burton Cummings and Co. That would be THE Guess Who. I mean it literally, guess who? The two pictures should give you a big hint. Give up? It's Tony Orlando and Dawn. Actually, Tony's association with the Dawn girls is more like the second phase of his career. He had a number of solo hits in the early '60s, with songs like "Bless You," "Halfway to Paradise," "Happy Times," and "My Baby's a Stranger." Once he teamed up with Dawn, they had another string of hits together, including "Candida," "Knock Three Times," and of course their smash hit, "Tie a Yellow Ribbon." The group then took their talents to the small screen, with the era's first multi-ethnic/racial (Tony is Greek/Puerto Rican, Dawn gals are African American) variety show. It was called The Tony Orlando and Dawn Rainbow Hour. Let's hear it for the 70s!! And it was no small potatoes show, either, but featured some of the biggest names in the biz. Like Jackie Gleason. Tony has gone on to become a recurring reference in popular culture. When you show up on The Simpson's you know you've made it. But for all that, it's young Tony's earliest, pre-Dawn songs that I like best. To finish off this post, I went to YouTube, and...bless me!...there wasn't much to chose from this time. All I found was just this one video potpourri accompanying an early Tony Orlando song without Dawn, so here ya go.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5I5AyRPpXQ

No comments: